Trudeau refuses to point finger at Russia over tensions with Turkey

“I don’t think we’re entirely clear on everything that happened right now and I certainly don’t think that it’s helpful to start off by me choosing to point fingers to one side or another,” the Liberal leader told reporters. “I think it’s extremely important is that we call for calm that we work together that we stand by our NATO ally absolutely but do we ensure that this incident doesn’t escalate into more such incidents.”

Earlier, Obama had blamed Russia in the immediate aftermath of the incident and declared Washington’s support for Turkey.

“I do think that this points to an ongoing problem with the Russian operations,” Obama told reporters during a joint press conference with visiting French President François Hollande. “In the sense that they are operating very close to a Turkish border, and they are going after moderate opposition that are supported by not only Turkey but a wide range of countries.”

Russia and Turkey have released conflicting maps showing the flight paths of the Su-24 and the F-16.

Russian Military showed an animation of the flight paths of the Turkish and Russian aircraft

Moscow’s map shows the Russian plane flying entirely within Syria’s airspace and the Turkish fighter making an incursion into Syrian territory to attack the Russian plane, while Ankara’s map shows the opposite.

turkey_map-640x359

Turkish Military released a map of the flight paths of the Turkish and Russian aircraft

NATO announced that the organization agreed with Turkey’s claim that the plane was shot down over Turkish airspace and pledged to stand in solidarity with Ankara.

“The Allied assessments we have got from several Allies during the day are consistent with information we have been provided with from Turkey,” NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg told reporter at press conference. “So the information we have from other Allies is consistent with what we have got from Turkey.”

The United States, however, seems to be privately disagreeing with Ankara’s assessment believing that the Russian jet shot down by Turkey on Tuesday was hit inside Syrian airspace after a brief incursion into Turkish airspace, according to top US official who spoke to Reuters on the condition of anonymity.

As Russia started deploying S-400 surface-to-air missile batteries inside Syria, Trudeau urged both sides to “de-escalate and allow for a greater level of shared purpose and actions in the operations to try to stabilize Syria.”

15 Responses to Trudeau refuses to point finger at Russia over tensions with Turkey

1. Anonymous Coward says:

Trudeau singing to Putin:

I’m weak in the knees for you
    But I’ll stand if you want me to
    My legs are strong and I move on
    But honey I’m weak in the knees…

• John Martin says:

Trudeau showed his face during his comment, and so did I, you really are the anonymous coward.

• Reply says:

You’re a child

• Me says:

I bet you are an intelligence poisoner aka a troll. More importantly if you are basing your comment on MSM propaganda
      make sure when u get to the pearly gates you have copies although the law states one cannot put forward’ignorance’ of the law as a defence.

2. John Martin says:

I didn’t vote for Trudeau, but i am becoming prouder and prouder of him every day! Here’s a guy not willing to jump on the U.S. bandwagon, but figure out the truth for himself. Bravo! Best PM since his Dad!

• Debra says:

I agree with John Martin on this one. Neither did I vote for Trudeau but so far he has made some outstanding moves.

This counts as simple common sense, though. First it was 17 seconds of violation of airspace and then it was 10 seconds. What will it be next? Human error, maybe?

If the US State department did say that only their buddies are entitled to self defense that is just WRONG.

• Tim English says:

I second that.

3. Allan Peda says:

I think the US is walking the only line it can. I counted 66 border skirting flights in Europe (March 2014 through March 2015) where the Russians turned OFF their transponders (http://goo.gl/9QbzoP). So publicly the US chastens Russia, but not so privately we are honest in our analysis of electronic intelligence (ELINT), and “leak” that Turkey downed the fighter over Syria.

The US is rightfully held to a higher standard, because we talk so loudly about freedom and openness, and frankly we often fail to meet our own standards. There is nothing we can do to stop Russia from bombing whoever they want to bomb, but we can close ranks with France, the rest of Europe, Canada etc and demand Russia coordinate with the other military interests in the area as we respond to this ISIL mess.

4. Buddy Guy says:

Nice job budday

5. defineaproblem says:

Canada has a leader who thinks before he acts.
    Unlike other leaders who take their marching orders from those who control the political process through their money.

Right now Canada, who’s economy depends on commodities in many parts of the country, is being hit by low commodity prices. Oil is a major hit for Canada. Justin Trudeau is focusing more on dealing with Canada’s issues at this time.

• Debra says:

Oh, please.

Canada’s economy is being bombarded by propaganda that serves the USA as USUAL.

The US $ is riding high due to the Turkey/Russia troubles. Natural gas and oil are rising because of it but the $US is peaking out.

Canada always has a downturn in its dollar at this time of year.
      My MBA and my husband who ran a trading floor confirm this.

6. Tony Cowen says:

Cooler heads do prevail.. currently we have two nuclear super-powers fighting two proxy conflicts, from two opposing ideologies & what should be noted as a ‘rogue nuclear state’ feverishly fanning the flames from both sides of an apocalyptic perspective..

If we’re not careful we will be dragged into yet another ‘allied’ intervention based on questionable executive orders & the declaration of ‘Freedom Fries..’

I don’t care which god you believe in.. there can be no winners found in the middle of a ‘Nuclear Winter.’ Do we really want the historical record written that we flushed it all away for the lack of a ‘Better God’.?

“Canada’s Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has broken ranks with United States President Barack Obama and other NATO allies by refusing to blame Russia over the incident in which a Turkish warplane downed a Russian Su-24 fighter near the Turkey-Syria border yesterday.”

___________________________

That’s the most intelligent thing he’s done yet. Maybe it’s the *only* intelligent thing he’s done.