The Conservative Party of Canada is facing a criminal investigation over allegations that one of its candidates ordered senior members of his campaign team to tear down opponents’ election signs while putting up his own, making it the fourth time in as many elections that the ruling party has come under a criminal probe over election law violations.

The Peel Regional Police has launched an investigation over the incident that was caught on camera by a Liberal volunteer on Tuesday night, Detective Paul McNairn confirmed last evening.

“I don’t care,” one of the vandals is heard saying in the footage justifying his actions. “I’m doing my job.”

Under section 325(1) of the Canada Elections Act, “No person shall prevent or otherwise impair the transmission to the public of an election advertising message,” including election signs as outlined in section 495(1) of the Canada Elections Act, and the offence carries a maximum fine of $5,000 and up to six months in jail.

The Liberal team identified the men shown on the video as Balkar Jhutti, a major donor to Brampton Centre Tory incumbent Bal Gosal, and Harvinder Rai, but the police have yet to confirm the identities of the vandals.

Photos have emerged of Prime Minister Stephen Harper meeting Jhutti and Rai at the premises of a business owned by Jhutti.

“Under Stephen Harper, Conservatives have broken election rules in every election,” Ramesh Sangha, Liberal candidate for the riding, said. “The Liberal team remains focused on bringing positive change to the people of Brampton Centre. We will not be discouraged by dishonest Conservative election tactics.”

The Conservative Party of Canada pleaded guilty to the “in and out” scandal involving illegal transfer of money to various levels of the party to circumvent spending limits during the 2006 election campaign.

Harper’s ethics spokesperson Dean Del Mastro was jailed for his attempts to fraudulently cover up election overspending for his successful 2008 campaign for the Peterborough riding.

Conservative staffer Michael Sona was jailed over the “Robocall” scandal, where voters were directed to wrong polling stations using automated phone calls.

Conservative tactics only serve to make turn people off from voting, according to the NDP candidate Rosemary Keenan.

“It is unfortunate that think kind of tactic is being used this late in the game, especially after such a long and tenuous campaign,” Keenan told ThinkPol in an email. “It is especially disappointing for our volunteers and campaign team who have invested so much time in this election and see their hard work put down just like that sign.”

“All this style of politics does is turn people off and leave a bad taste in their mouth,” Keenan added. “People in Brampton deserve better than this and need representatives who are willing to spend more time advocating for the interests of the community. Rather than resorting to these kinds of tactics, we need a representative whose top priority is to be a strong voice for Brampton’s priorities.”

Bal Gosal was not available to comment on the matter as he was “out doorknocking,” according to his campaign team.

Our phone calls and emails to the Conservative Party of Canada headquarters so far remain unanswered.

[Photo Credit: Peel Regional Police]

241 Responses to Conservatives facing criminal investigation over election law violation for the 4th election in a row

1. Chad Collins says:

Just like with every Rob Ford scandal, the supporters all cried hoax. Now there is a criminal investigation. Not very good with pattern recognition, that right-wing lot.

I did not know the pictures and self admittance of Rob Ford smoking Crack was a hoax.

• Sam says:

It wasn’t, he’s saying that his supporters were quick to try to say it was until there was too much proof to ignore.

• Dave says:

Yeah, the usual tactic is to lie and deny. Even when the proof is there for all to see, just keep repeating the same old message.

• ILANNA says:

I have had it happen on my block and in my own yard. A party I do not support has kept placing their signage in my yard. I remove it and the next day ir is back up…the neighbour started wstchibg

• ILANNA says:

I have had it happen on my block and in my own yard. A party I do not support has kept placing their signage in my yard. I remove it put it out for garbage pick up and the next day it is back up…the neighbour started watching and identified individuals putting signs up lawns. I cut it up…I think that sent the message…they don’t come around. The Conservatives aren’t the party I support.

• ryno says:

In all fairness, condemning someone for something without proof of their doing it, simply because some said they did it makes for a rather piss-poor sense of justice. People too often jump on the closest bandwagon, because they are too damn lazy to think for themselves. In the case of Rob Ford the rumors were true, however there was and should have been the presumption of innocence until proven guilty. Those who assumed he was guilty based on rumors, were lucky at best.

In Ford’s case the rumours were not really rumours. Several news outlets reported that they were shown the video by someone shopping it around and the ones who broke the story (Gawker) had no interest in Canadian politics and no stake in smearing Ford. All the journalists who saw the video were not reporting rumours, they were reporting what they had seen even at risk of being sued for libel. While no one was able to secure the proof, there was enough to suggest that it was more than a rumour.

I’ve seen he video of them being confronted on camera..

• Carol says:

They have them on camera doing it!

• stuart rivers says:

Those who assumed he was guilty based on rumors, were lucky at best.
            wow! were you on mars watching news? because the fuckin man was a textbook fuckup with every sign of an addict drunken stupor was his own words used to excuse his repeated behavior, grabbing asses at public gatherings, film clips of his ass driving and reading the paper, the guy is unable to do anything outside his bathroom without us seeing it and he fuckin jumped around grabbing up the spotlight, justin beiber and his eggs were the only thing ridiculous enough to distract from fords daily idiocy!

Lol. Yup. Apathy is lower now because they are so blatant. He ramped up the fear and is getting anger instead. Sadly the deals he has made will be binding unless we can charge him with treason and strip him of citizenship under c24. Got to find some good use for that racist act and it would be ultimate irony.

Citizenship is not a race….and bill c-24 is about define terrorism…I don’t think sign mauling qualifies…you guys are so stupid…it’s sad

No it isnt, but terrorizing the entire country with c51 should be enough to put harper and his thieves in with c24

Lol that is the funniest thing I’ve seen yet!

I think this guy is just trolling. I see no reason for anyone to defend this conservative crook.

Its amazing what people will say when they are anonymous………

Who in terrorized is my question? Not I. It is my opinion that the Harper Govt. is only staying aware of what is happening in the rest of the world as should all of us. Do you people not read or listen to news from other parts of the world. Get your head out of whereever it is that you have planted it and look at reality.

• Sam says:

Did you guys know the liberal party leader also voted in favour of C-51? It’s hard to vote for a guy that is now using that Bill as a way to turn people against Harper when he voted yes for it. This is my problem with strategic voting… Trudeau I think would be just as bad as Harper if not worse because I feel like our nation would end up like Ontario where we have become so indebted that I don’t see us ever getting out.

• Jon says:

I love it when people who cannot spell, nor properly use grammar or punctuation, call others stupid.

• Dave says:

“Sign mauling” as you put it, is a criminal offence. You’re OK with that? For the 4th election in a row? Obviously he has you scared now with this “terrorism” talk. Just remember this: When a government tries to scare you, it’s not because they want to keep you safe. It’s because they want to control you. This government and Mr Harper needs to be given the boot on Monday.

• ESB says:

Signs get trashed in many communities by all parties, or by people that are just sick and tired of hearing the rhetoric. Let’s blow this incident out of proportion because it’s ‘going to sell papers’. Anti-Harper sentiment is what is doing just that at the moment as everyone likes to cheer for the ‘underdog’. Not worth getting anyone’s knickers in a knot over ‘the norm’ for elections time.

Agreed!!!

I agree

ESB Please explain how breaking the Law is “blowing things out of proportion”. People aren’t “cheering for the underdog” so much as they’re “constantly reminded of how Harper has completely destroyed this country and want it to stop.”

• Jamie says:

I agree! We should be able to vote for party leaders,if Harper’s riding in Alberta likes him well they can have him.

Agreed

• stuart rivers says:

its violating others free right to vote and be heard. it’s strategic and it’s just 1 of hundreds of calculated attempts to fuck over canada. period. how the fuck do you talk this down.

• Dave says:

You seriously shouldn’t comment if you don’t know what he’s talking about.

And you are so biased that you don’t understand the real meaning behind the comment, but I get it , here we are one day to go, desperation has set in and you lash out and call others dumb ! Say good bye … It’s all over and the fat lady is warming up … She’s got a beautiful aria to sing. I can hardly wait

• Laura says:

It is a racist Act, as he tried to word it in very way possible to target those of race and just got others caught up in the net, because he couldn’t legally put a colour guide in the Act. He’s not talking about Natives when he talks about “old stock Canadians.”

I’ve had enough Conservatives tell me Bill C-24 was never aimed at me, usually with the tired line of “well, don’t be a terrorist.” When they mistakenly call me “old stock,” they are wrong! I am second-class: yes, I am white (which they clearly prefer), but the only reason why my family has English names was Immigration changed their names to English when they arrived in this country and we got the hint – assimilate, don’t be different. How much of my family’s heritage was lost with what was started with that act of Immigration policy?

Now immigration policy has gotten smarter about what should make our country, about what is lost when we ask people to be all the same and let people practice their connection to something larger than themselves: whether it be God, multiple Gods, The Spaghetti Monster or atheism, whatever. Some people even make decisions here and we are punishing them for being different? Despite what they say, no one is actually harming anybody (and so says the Supreme Court).

This is one woman’s opinion, but all this talk makes me not want to be the woman I’ve grown up to be: who only knew her Canadian heritage. You are going to brand me a second-class citizen because of the immigration policy of a country I have never known, that my family fled as refugees, because apparently they’ll take you back for generations? Not the country that welcomed us and has been our home for generations? Well, maybe it’s time to dig up my family’s history and wear it like some freak flag because your immigration officers – they apparently aren’t mine anymore – told us to throw away our history and become Canadians. But we’re not, are we? Even though Conservatives like white Christian folk…

Bring your beliefs and cultures with you to Canada. Practice them within the laws of Canada. Celebrate your differences and worship your gods, but do not strip our society of our cultures and beliefs claiming the are offensive to your cultures and beliefs. Welcome to Canada – live and let live.

• Laura says:

And how does my Christian Eastern European name offend you? My name was changed to O’Grady for what reason, other than your immigration officers want everyone exactly the same?

If it were truly “live and let live,” my family could have kept our name.

• ananomous says:

In Canada, section 83.01 of the Criminal Code[1] defines terrorism as an act committed “in whole or in part for a political, religious or ideological purpose, objective or cause” with the intention of intimidating the public “…with regard to its security, including its economic security, or compelling a person, a government or a domestic or an international organization to do or to refrain from doing any act.” the definition of terrorism according to the department of justice http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/rp-pr/cj-jp/victim/rr09_6/p3.html

intimidation according to the criminal code:
          “423. (1) Every one is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term of not more than five years or is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction who, wrongfully and without lawful authority, for the purpose of compelling another person to abstain from doing anything that he or she has a lawful right to do, or to do anything that he or she has a lawful right to abstain from doing” specifically
          “(d) hides any tools, clothes or other property owned or used by that person, or deprives him or her of them or hinders him or her in the use of them;”
          harper is a terrorist

that would be so dumb….

Strip him of his citizenship and deport him!

Please the liberals and ndp are illegally placing signs on people’s property here in Alberta. They are all crooks

• scrayne says:

Here’s the part where you tell me I cheat more in my taxes than Duffy ever did…

• Really says:

Prove it. There is NO way it wouldn’t be in the news. I’ve been googling it. The only things that come up are more PC stories about removing signs from other parties.

You PC supporters have NOTHING to argue, so you go with “They are all crooks”.

Just admit it- you are a PC supporter forever without ever really knowing why. You are a puppet. Period.

You sound like you deserve a liberal government led by daddy’s little boy!! Lol

• Really says:

I would take a magic 8 ball over Harper.

• Shelley says:

Why must you resort to name calling? Yeah he’s Pierre Trudeau’s son but he’s all grown up now so deal with it! I hate when people resort to this kind of childishness.

just the fact that you admit to “GOOGLING it”, your argument has no bearing… and you still argue issues that are age old which, many actually stemmed problems started by Libs… Always a blame game and “scare tactics” accusations, which is BS.

at least his “googling it” shows enough care to actually LEARN about the issues and goings on in this election. Perhaps you should consider doing much of the same.

• Really says:

Do you have any idea what you are saying? TWha fact that i “googled it” means I actively searched out news stories to see how factual that ridiculous claim was. Seriously, do you still churn butter and hand plow your cornfeild, Jebidiah?

both parties the cons and libs are so corrupted it is time for a total change. as a canadian….i’m just totally disgusted by by them both. if your expecting anyting different then when the liberals left in scandal you will be wrong. if you expect anything new from the cons you’d be wrong..it truly has become a rats nest and charges and prison time need to follow before its too late for these people. tough on crime my ass

Prove it? Come to my house and I’ll show you the sign they placed on my lawn without permission.

But could it have been a mistaken address?

• bob-ob-la says:

Why don’t you take it down?

Maybe the conservatives are up to their fraudulent robo calls again misleading people to the wrong address to put signs? Haha just kidding. They only sent 100s of Canadians to the incorrect polls in the last election with their fraudulent calls. Now that’s inexcusable!!!

• Really says:

Did you contact a news source? Did you do anything to fix the problem? Or just quietly create an elaborate story as to why the evil lieberal agenda includes your shitty lawn.

Liberals put one on my lawn… it didn;t last long, ended up at side of house where the dog pisses.

Boo Hoo Liberal Boy

Ok….. and so……

Conservative prick

PC illegally places their advertising in the mail box of my apartment. They are NOT allowed to do so. If a PC minion buzzed my bell to tell me what other lies and people’s rights stealing; Harper wants to do I’d for sure tell him where to put his propaganda. Never once have I seen other parties do this. Maybe if PC fans stopped wearing their ass as a hat they’d maybe be surprised how much everything would be if we got rid of Canada’s Hitler.

Actually ALL parties are doing so, as well… If you’re going to Chirp about PC ILLEGALLY stuffing your mailslot with campaign adds, it is just as fair to say ALL parties are doing so, otherwise such an accusation is BS!

• Jamie says:

The only election mail I have received is voters card and conservative fliers.. #fuckharper

Illegally? BS. I do not support Harper and his Connies in any way, but I will defend this action as being completely LEGAL. All candidates have legal right under the Elections Act to canvas your apartment buildings, and stuff your mailboxes. They are on of the only few that are protected from Solicitation laws and policies like the Do Not Call registry or No Solicitation rules in buildings. Learn hat is legal and what is not before throwing such accusations. BTW, like I said, I will not be voting Harper.

• Paul P. says:

Stop calling them PCs. There’s no longer anything Progressive about the Canadian Conservative Party, and their name has reflected that for a decade. They are not just Conservatives, they are regressives, as demonstrated by their attack on science.

• keash says:

in ontario the cons are doing the same

• Joey says:

The part of your lawn close to the road is not your property. It’s public. Property lines are typically at least 10 feet from the edge of the pavement.

Parties are not allowed to put signs on public land. They canvas for private property signage and in some cases like big intersection signs on private corner lots, they pay people(which should be illegal, not that that would stop harperites).

Putting signs on public property is not illegal. Not sure where you read that, but it is completely incorrect. Do a little fact checking.

Incorrect and untrue. Check the elections act, it has a section concerning public signs, you know what it says?
            “325. (1) No person shall prevent or impair the transmission to the public of an election advertising message without the consent of a person with authority to authorize its transmission.”
            And then it has a short list of exceptions.

Specifically, public property along roadways is free-game as long as it’s not a hazzard to drivers.
            (So in an area where they say no billboards you couldn’t put a billboard.)

If u mow it and the city don’t,it’s yours!

Lol um nope cutting the gras on it does not make it yours or I would go cut the grass at 24 Sussex Drive and kick Harper off my property

• Donny B. says:

You still own the property, the city has a right-of-way and can dig to place underground pipes, or place hydro poles or traffic signs on that right-of-way. But it’s not public property and if you are not acting as an authorized agent for the city you have no right to be on the property.

well it maybe but i also understand its you that must maintain it..i think the cons are gonna have a big plastic fire when its over….i’m in brantford ontario and i don’t see any signs hardly for the cons..like 3…i was also in london ontario…never saw any con signs there either hardly..i think they have so many they cant give them away cause nobody wants one.so they decided to just go put them out anywhere

• Bob says:

There are few crooks in NDP and Liberals too, they used to be Conservatives. These parties hired them from the entire group of Cons.

Hi bob. This comment makes no sense.

• trudy tizya says:

I’m a Liberal and was “never anything else” and was never hired. I don’t know what the conservatives do but there’s no hiring allowed in any campaign. but then again, it’s harper, the fords, etc. etc.

So I wasn’t the only one in Calgary that had an NDP sign put on my lawn without permission? It’s still in my garden shed…

If your property fronts a public road then part of “your” property in front of the road is probably city property. Usually a couple feet. Therefore, these signs they place in front of your property is on city property, not yours.

Their doing the same here as well in BC!

Just like when I ended up with a Conservative sign on my lawn during the 2008 election. I called the local office, they said they’d come and pick it up, “oops totally not their fault, don’t know how that happened,” but I told them not to bother as I’d already thrown it out. Strangely enough I then got one of the robocalls in 2011.

• DaveLindsay says:

Check where your property line ends and road/utility right of way starts.

Could Not agree with you more.

• KKMA says:

“Not very good with pattern recognition, that right-wing lot.”

Human reasoning is much worse than anticipated:

Good bye Stephen. ☺

• steve says:

Just not sure what i,m reading here. it’s saying the police have not identified the vandals but the liberal party has? It has also been confirmed that Harper met personally with the vandals. the same vandals the police have not yet identified

What the hell does Rob Ford have to do with this?

2. JC says:

The Conservatives are going to throw these guys under the bus and claim that they knew nothing about it, the same way that they threw Michael Sona, Dean Del Mastro, Mike Duffy, and a host of other people under the bus.

My question is, why don’t any of them just speak out? Are they being paid to shut up? Or are they being threatened by the Conservative thugs?

Tough on crime.

4. Realbertan says:

Some brown guys went and destroyed the signs of another brown guy. This is nothing.

Stephen Harper will deport all brown guys from Canada using Bill C-24. Then we won’t have these problems.

5. Sparkle says:

All the conservative signs were being pulled down by the liberals and NDP two weeks already in our area. The signs are nothing but a junk collector anyway. The NDP and LIberals are always doing it.

• Jeremy says:

Interested in your news source.

• Wil says:

Care to offer any proof?
      Or are you just using the old “other guys do it too” excuse, which doesn’t work for six year old caught stealing cookies and should not work for our political parties?

• Greg says:

where did you go sparkle…waiting for an answer to the past comments

The vandalism goes in all directions most elections. What’s unique here is that a candidate has sent volunteers out to do the deed.

That’s what’s being investigated. Show me one incident where another major party has done that?

Stephen Harper and his dirty ways just to try gain more Canadians votes!!Time for Canadian voters to come and realize and come together to unseat Stephen Harper as Canada’s Prime Minister

Trudeau and his cronies want drugs in stores
          Mulcair is a known bribe taking communist

Conservatives promote a healthy economy.

The choice is simply really

• Anon says:

Hmm, sounds like those propaganda ads I’ve been hearing non-stop for the past while.

You are a fucking idiot.

Every smear campaign out there is garbage and makes me respect the ones making them less rather than the ones they target. Conservative “BREACH OF TRUST!” wtf? is that a crime now? “Trudeau, he’s just not ready…” ahhh, okay? why’s that?

Honestly, either get you’re hands dirty or don’t bother. Only fools that can’t question advertising will listen to these pathetic excuses for smear campaigns.

Really!!!! I think you should check those stats before you make such a statement.

Healthy economy my ass. Our economy has been stagnant or shit. At least with one of the other parties they’ll boost infrastructure and I’ll have work again.

At the expense of the the country’s reputation. Our reputation is slowly falling. We are looked at as a bunch of ignorant oil loving dirty pigs, not the reputation I want for Canada. Thanks Steve, really bang up job.

but drugs are already in stores, their called pharmacies

• Harper's Headache says:

He who knows not and knows not he knows not clearly exemplifies this moron’s sophistry.
            May I suggest you try reading something other than conservative propaganda, as your calumny of the NDP and Liberals proves your lack of active brain cells in this matter.
            As your “Crime Sinister” is noted for saying, obviously, your belief in “His” conservative ideology, shows how gullible and misguided you truly are. Good luck!

• steve says:

you knew and never reported it then shut up

• zac says:

weed is better then codiene and oxyconton all that shit they should sell weed for drug stores instead of shit that will kill your liver i heard about people over dosing on pills not once i heard someone died from too much pot the only thing that got murdered is there fridge!!

• Really says:

Are you Stephen Harper?

• Kentucky Kid says:

Name the riding; provide evidence. Otherwise shut it.

That’s absolutely true. The difference is that the conservatives didn’t whine about it, they just fixed what they could and cleaned up the rest.

• Laura says:

BS. In other elections, most recently the provincial election, Ottawa West-Nepean had the Conservative candidate whining about the signs to the news while the other parties had to comment “it happened to us too, like it does every election campaign…”

This stuff is normal. Also, it is not worth blaming parties. There are plenty of times it is just vandals and idiots with no political motivation or at least no political ties. Once, I even heard volunteers whining about vandals knocking down the signs the night after a big wind storm. Really? Because the storm had nothing to do with it?

6. Race Bannon says:

Care to point us in the direction of hard evidence the other parties have done the same thing Sparkle? Baseless accusations are not proof of wrongdoing.

• Raj Englsteun says:

Rice Bannok

Key point here. Conservative rep under criminal investigation – not NDP not Liberal. Only children use the ‘well they did it to’ excuse. God this remind me of the 1999 film ‘Election’

• steve says:

if you read this story there is no hard evidence in it. perhaps they should rerun this story when the police actually identify the vandals. Perhaps then i will be prepared to string up my local conservative candidate.

Does anyone think one persons actions reflect others come on

• Greiagon says:

It hasn’t been just one person doing one thing, it’s been a whole party using various tactics throughout every election campaign since they been in power.

8. Neville says:

I pulled 10 Liberal Ruby Sahota signs out of the ravine, and re-purposed them. The conservative electorate need to stand up for what they actually beleive in as Canadian values, and stop letting the loudest thugs like Harper or Ford or these sign baffoons define their party

• Brampton North says:

On our street Lib signs on Private property were taken down and put in peoples garbage cans on Garbage day. CON signs were left alone.
      By 8pm the LIB signs had all been replaced.

Brampton North

9. SandiB says:

Wasting tax payers money investigating what the 3 stooges are up to now. I’m so disappointed in the choices I have for next Monday. I think a circus bear could easily win if their name was on the ballot.

• Sharon says:

I agree.

Couldn’t agree more. I have no idea who to vote for since everyone has shitty plans and Stephen Harper is conservative 🙁

Smartest post I’ve seen on here so far. Truth is all the major players are going to be garbage leaders standing on shaky platforms. Harper seems the lesser of 3 evils to me because he’ll mess up the country the least. That being said he won’t make it any better. It’s a lose – lose – lose situation.

You’re right, it’ll be tough to make it worse than he already has. Geez, that’s a stupid comment.

I hope you’re joking. Go see the world, see how bad it can be and then be sarcastic about how bad it is. It can always get worse.

Then you say:

Worse than “he” made it? Don’t be a fool, you can’t expect any political party to beat recession and suddenly have a thriving economy. Canada is not solely responsible for our own stagnation. It’s a global issue and happening elsewhere as well.

It’s not just about the economy! Why do conservative supporters always have to play the economy card? For one, it’s not likely that the Harper government did anything good for the economy. Secondly, what about all the other myriad ways in which Harper has negatively impacted our country?

• CanadianShe_Wolf.... says:

Sandi!By George! I think you nailed it!

I am 70 and when I started voting a person had to be 21.
      I voted on maybe 3 or 4 elections and by then I realized I was going to be disappointed a lot by politicians. NONE of them do OR have told the truth since their decision to enter the political game. All we can do as Canadians is cast a vote for the one we feel will do our country and us the “least harm” while they are in office.

No one really gives a rats a$$ about signs being torn down…..it is just something to natter-on about.

….AND as far as anyone “of color/colour”…..as I look around my part of Canada, I am hard-pressed to find anyone that is truly of the color/colour “their ancestors” started out being…..Well except for the Arrivals area of the airport, a Mercedes, Audi OR BMW dealership, Food Basics OR No Frills! OH!I forgot 2 places….”Free” Health care services and the welfare office.

Just get yer $hit together people……or before ya know it….someone will decide to start assembling gas chambers…….and it won’t matter a tinkers damn whose sign is on whose lawn!!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch all the conservatives defend this somehow. Looks like they basically just said “fuck it” and went ahead and did this because they know it’s over.

11. Brian Leclair says:

It’s sad that this man is the leader of our beautiful country, and just what he is capable of doing to stay in power. Knowing the majority of Canada,s citizens don,t want him to remain

The majority of people voted Conservatives into power the last 10 years

Not once in those 10 year did the majority of Canadians vote conservative. They gained a majority government, but the highest percentage of Canadians that voted CPC was 40%

No they didn’t… That’s why proportional representation is needed. If in a riding the Conservative candidate gets 80 votes, the Liberal candidate gets 70 votes, the NDP candidate gets 50 votes, and the Green candidate gets 20 votes the Conservative candidate wins the election and the 140 people who disagree with the party get no voice. The main issue is becausr of the left split and the lack of a right wing split.

Thank you for pointing out what a terrible assumption that was. Classic false-consensus effect.

That was me posting that:

is a false consensus based on election history. So there’s no confusion.

• Kentucky Kid says:

Utter fiction. The Conservatives have the money. But we have the numbers. Do you know how many people voted Conservative last time? 5.7 million. Do you know how many eligible voters age 18-30 there are? 5.8 million.

• Tickedmeoff says:

Bullchit

And this is why a party (the entire party) should be banned from elections permanently for any and all wrongdoings. Also death to stephen hitler

you sir…are an idiot

When using the phrase Idiot – you are referring to Harper right?

hahaha, I believe the idiot is the one banning conservatives from government whilst also calling their leader Hitler. Seems like you are suggesting moving to a dictatorship and calling the descenting voices dictators.

How exactly is removing one of a handful of political parties from an election promoting a dictatorship? In my riding, that still leaves 6 other parties to vote for.

Lets get serious, it would leaves 2 parties that have a chance and they’re both left wing. Thus, we just need a Stalin to rule our new and beautiful nation.

Maybe because calling Harper Hitler is like calling a spade a spade. It’s not a fucking heart or a club. It’s you who wants to suppress dissent.

13. Keith says:

The majority of Canadians may not want him but they are too lazy to vote to ensure he doesn’t get in again. If you don’t vote for a candidate shut your bend over and take up the ass you dumb fuck

• Laura says:

While voter turnout is lower than it should be, the majority of people who voted did NOT vote Conservative. The Conservatives figured out they didn’t need the majority of Canadians to vote for them, they just needed the “right” Canadians to vote for them, and targeted their campaigns, starting two Federal elections ago.

The voters are speaking up, and this year in more numbers than ever. Listen up: people are talking about where the system is broken.

14. Just another Number says:

Well for all you who support Harper and his tactics….wake the fuck up. He wants to go through with C-24 so all the foreign workers can be deported back, work for peanuts under the TPT. He will give the 1 percent upper class tax cuts, child tax credits they don’t need, just to mention a few points. This man has not done our country any good since he has been in power and it’s time for a change. Middle class need a break and the lower class need jobs. At least the other parties are willing to promote this!

15. Fair Elections for Real says:

There should be a Fair Elections Act that punishes this type of behavior with the disqualification of the candidate that potentially benefits. Similarly the robo call situation should have led to the disqualification of the entire party. We need to have real legislation that leads to real penalties for this kind of behavior. Otherwise our democracy is a joke.

16. Jim says:

Is it any wonder? i mean how long did it take to indite Del Mastro? Allthewhile dude was earning salary for how many years before it coming to court? 1 mil? Over a mil, I bet it was closer to 2 or more on public tax payers dimes. What was his fine, 10 K, 1 month and 5 years out of politics… so is this any big surprise??!

17. Angus says:

I don’t get all the BS.I will still pay my taxes Tuesday. I will be still be screwed uncerimonisly by the elite. I lost all my teeth because I couldn’t afford the proper food and dental care. Some of us still and will continue to live on dog and cat food regardless of the costly election.

18. Dave says:

Thanks for making this story go viral on the frontpage of REDDIT.

19. Jimmy D says:

Think about this…many rich people get their money at the expense of others. Many rich people vote conservative…why would anyone expect anything different in the mentality of a person who would support this type of party in the first place? They call-em CONS for a reason folks.

• zac says:

rich people should pay more taxes give us middle class a break
      thats the way it should be if you make a shit loads of money or your wealthy and rich they should pay more taxes

• Bob says:

You just insulted every 3rd person in Canada who happens to vote conservative. Like Trudeau said, Conservatives are not our enemies, they’re our neighbours.

By the way, many rich people vote Liberal and NDP also.

Liberal party volunteers tore down Mark Adler signs all over the York Centre riding for the past weeks. As an Adler volunteer I got a knock at my door complaining about it and called Michael Levitt’s office to remind them it is against election law. They have the call on record.Pity we didnt make more of a deal of it like this ridiculous article!

• Laura says:

Unless you caught them red-handed, you don’t know who it was, you are assuming. It is a different situation having signs torn down by vandals- as happens with every election- than having people who work for a campaign being told to do it by an official. THAT’S election fraud, THAT’s a big deal, not just sign being torn down.

In the age of cell phone cameras, it is your prerogative to film vandalism if you see it and bring it to the police.

Seriously???

Tearing down opponents election signs is so common that it makes this a joke. In my quiet little town, I’ve seen signs of EVERY party tipped-over, unearthed, torn up, and even discarded in the ditch.

I believe Harper has out stayed his welcome and grown to used to being in power. Canada needs to bring laws into effect that give a prim minister a set amount of time to hold power. He has forgotten that he works for us the Canadian people and needs to be reminded of the fact. I want the Canadian government back! Harper has anegotistical communsit style attitude and needs to be put into his place. As a liaison of Canada… Nothing more.

The citizens will decide when he’s outstayed his welcome. You sir, do not speak for us.

• Laura says:

Citizens did not vote him in: Harper was elected to a majority with less than 40% of the vote – not even Canadians but the vote. Canadians are upset that we’re NOT voting him in and he represents us. That’s why people are complaining about the system and talk about voting strategically, and not by their values.

23. Spoofbot says:

Endorsing who you don’t necessarily endorse. Ahhhh, strategic voting. Let’s get it done and remove Harper! https://youtu.be/pa_71qQnTH0

24. Roger says:

Ban election billboards. People are sufficiently bombarded with election ads through other media sources.

25. joe says:

I do not see whats everyones problem with harper sure hes made mistakes and lied you think the others are gonna be different???? Atleast hes added jobs given families more money and raised wages etc. What has NDP done but get us in debt over our heads? What have liberals done except raise taxes and lie and cheat the system?

HARPER WILL WIN PEEPS every election they predict loss and he wins so not gonna change now.

I completely agree with you. As far as winning this election, it can go in any direction IMO. But as for the predictions, maybe its because the conservatives are doing something useful instead of hurling opinions at each other on the internet

XD

“At least he added jobs given more money to families and raised wages etc.”
      Nope. We are hemorrhaging jobs right now, and when employment is shitty, wages stagnate. Considering the money given to families is taxed, it’s kind of ironic coming from a party constantly claiming to lower taxes. The NDP haven’t gotten anybody into debt over their heads because they haven’t had a chance to govern. As for the Liberals, all those taxes balanced and paid down the our national debt for a while. Lying and cheating the system is sadly par for the course in politics presently. Point being the guy is a shitty PM. The Conservatives should have run a different candidate for party leadership and, beyond that, PM.

• Max says:

Too funny! The NDP left Ontario $11 billion in the red, after walking into a surplus. Now the Liberals have put Ontario so far in the hole, it will take our grand, grand, grand,
        grand, children to pay it off, not to mention all the other money scandals McGuinty/Wynne have got caught in.

As for the federal Liberals and their scandals, you could take the Sponsorship scandal up to as recent as last week when the campaign co-chair resigned because he got caught sending an email to big oil on how to grease the wheels and get the chance to form the Liberals oil policy. If anyone from Harper’s team did that, it would be over every front page and the top news story for days on end.

• zac says:

i dont get how you dont see a problem hes putting canada in debt and hes tryna get rid of us native people yet we were the first ones here he should be working with us not agianst us serves him right if he gets voted out!

none of those things you touted are facts. Look up the facts and you will see you are just repeating party talking points because you are a puppet.

• John says:

There has been almost no true job creation over the last seven years. Splitting one good paying job into three lower paying part time jobs isn’t job creation even though it sounds awesome when the number of jobs “before and after” are given during a campaign speech.

As for the money being handed to Canadians, I was given the $1000 cheque of tax payer money too.

There is no mention of any tax shelter tied to this amount so I expect in the end it will be about $750.
      The same week I got a notice that the federal amount for children was reduced by $600 per year.
      That makes it about a $50 cheque.

I’ve also lost about $750 in non refundable tax credit since Harper started making changes. So this year even though I got a “cheque” they took $700 from me and going forward the difference is $1300 out of my pocket every year.
      Why would I vote for this to continue?

The only party I know of that raised wages is Alberta NDP, not the Conservatives.

The only party that I have heard of raising wages is Alberta NDP, not Harper’s Conservatives. Also has anyone else noticed that Harper looks like a lego man with the combover, and the head that has the smirk

26. Understand says:

I have 2 questions please . Why did Harper sell the Canadian wheat board to Saudi Arabia for less money then the Canadian people where willing to pay?
    And why did the husband of one of his senior members get stopped for a dui and possession of cocanie with no charges?

27. it’s just pointless vandalism, really. nobody votes based on the prevalence of lawn signs. you’ve got high school bullies on the right, and debate team demagogues on the left. seems like the liberals are the only party that graduated.

i just hope the story makes it to the local press, in whatever language is most widely read in the riding. it seems like that often doesn’t happen.

when Harper made the comment, “we won’t recognize Canada when He is done”, I almost puked. and here it is, time to vote again and people are considering the worst of the three evils?
    Harper and his goons, decided we don’t need clean water, we don’t have use for anything other than bitumen, and women going missing is not high on their radar!??
    what the hell is wrong with people? without the right to clean water and clean land we have nothing!!

• Bob says:

Clean, safe, drinking water is a provincial responsibility.

As for an inquiry on native women going missing, how about some native groups growing some balls and look into it themselves? There are numerous reserves with their own native police forces. Are they really that dumb that you need to have a bunch of white guys in the federal govt do the investigating? Do what every other community does, hold the local authorities accountable to do their job.

29. anonymous says:

The writing is on the wall – Harper is toast. Only a majority will save him now and it’s obvious that it isn’t happening. Harper will be making two speeches next week; one conceding defeat and we can all guess what the next one will be. It’s good to see that the CPC’s dirty election tactics didn’t work this time.

It happens everywhere unfortunately. People get caught up in a “hate” fest rather than educating themselves and voting according to the issues they believe are important to them!

My question is why in the hell is Muslims running for elections … go back to your dirt

32. Joey Vegas says:

These are not Canadian values. Gosal should do the honourable thing and withdraw from the election.

• Richard MacKinnon says:

Cameras and social media make it a lot harder for Conservatives and Liberals to get away with over-the-line electioneering these days. Not that Elections Canada has been left with enough teeth to make cheating not pay.

33. wow says:

Fuck this why vote for people who won’t change shit for us. I think all Canadians should not vote. Let the messed up Canadian government figure it out. What would happen? Nothing they will do what they already do pick it there self’s

34. kerron cyro says:

And that as hole stuck on stupid, Canada is not racist so If any one should leave its u fucker. I’ll post my real name so u can defend your opinion you goof bitch

35. Jon Ross says:

I find it ludicrous that so manu anti-conservatives here are grasping at issues like this to define how they are going to vote tomorrow. I am going to base my vote on the campaign set out by each party, not frivolous issues that are the business the courts to sort out. If you are voting Liberal admit that you are voting to have your children pay tommorrow for your Canada today and if you are voting NDP admit that you are voting to force corporations to either foot the bill or leave Canada (which is more likely to happen).

• Richard MacKinnon says:

“I am going to base my vote on the campaign set out by each party, not frivolous issues that are the business the courts to sort out.”

My party doesn’t cheat. It stands up on principle and if it did I would leave it. You stand by a party that felt it has had to break the rules in every election since 2006 in order to win. If it felt that its policies were sufficient to earn the trust of Canadians, there would be no in-and-out scandal, no robocalls, no campaign overspending and volunteers following orders wouldn’t be thrown under the bus.

If a party does this to earn power, what might they do when they have it and why should I support them obtain it.

• Max says:

Well, there was a thing called a Sponsorship scandal that bilked taxpayers out of millions of dollars… Oops, sorry, that was the Liberals.

Oh yeah, there was this thing a couple of months ago about getting caught for using $2.75 million taxpayers dollars to pay for campaign workers salaries… oops, sorry, nevermind, that was the NDP.

Wait,there was this thing last week where a campaign co-chair had to resign because he sent letters out to big oil businesses on how to grease the wheels to get priority attention and create oil policy with the government.. Oh crap, forget it, it was the Liberals again.

Well anyway, we can forgive and forget the Liberals and NDP for lawbreakingr alright? Let’s not talk about that anymore, besides, it makes the Conservative lawn sign affair look like jack squat in comparison which won’t sell papers or get people all wound up.

All I hear is “everybody else is bending rules, so it’s not really a big deal Conservatives did it too.” Fuck that noise. That’s why I voted Green Party!

36. Rod says:

If Trudeau gets the job as PM I want to see how he deals with Putin. He could use his expertise as a part time drama teacher to avoid a potential war. If he gives ISIL parkas they may not be able to shoot at us or blow us up. The Veterans of the last two world wars are rolling over in their graves watching how you hand their country over to a dope smoking drama teacher with nice hair. You are all stupid fools.

• Tim Osman says:

What about all the world war 1 veterans who died so they could still blaze a fat doobie after a long day at work? You know marijuana wasn’t made illegal until 1923 when people didn’t really care or were concerned at all then drugs were demonized in the 80s and now we have morons like Rod thinking they are the worst thing to happen to this planet, there were probably a lot of “dope smokers” who fought in the first world war something you probably wouldn’t have the courage to do. I don’t see how what some person decides to put into their own body affects your life, Justin Trudeau may be a trust fund priveleged white boy but the fact he smoked a little herb is irrelevent to his qualifications. Have you ever thought of why it is illegal? Or do you just buy the bullshit that its bad for you and they do it for your own protection? Hemp would compete with the pharmaceutical, pulp and paper, alcohol, and petroleum industry. Do you think the corporations who really run this place would want that?

Hear Hear! Cigarettes are waaay unhealthy but nooo, can’t ban that washroom chemical shit. Just gotta ban the competition! Besides, it would be a bad idea to ban the ‘real’ bad shit that pads the pockets of all the cancer treatment centers and pharmaceutical companies.

I wonder if Rod realizes that cigarettes are what should be banned, not weed. I guess he probably doesn’t, after all, Harper did say pot is “infinitely worse” than tobacco. Harper wouldn’t lie about that. Lol.

Haha. Desperate. Loser last minute dirty tactics. Investigation is after election. Losers

38. Jimmy says:

A Liberal Party Sign was placed in my yard but I am voting NDP, but I am not crying that every Liberal is corrupt. Who cares.

Well. The mob will be in power. Lol

Deport to three all of them who destroyed signs. Its very easy to recognise to them .

I live near Steeles and McLaughlin in Brampton. In my own neighborhood I still see Sonia Sidhu liberal signs thrown in the grass with conservative signs erected on top of them. I now see the connection! However, these dishonest tactics by the conservatives do not surprise me in the least, and I am glad they did not make any difference whatsoever.

42. Justin Komosky says:

Lol, this is a good example of how the media is twisting the words people say “I don’t care” was in reference to him being filmed, the “I’m doing my job” was in reference to him putting up signs, not that he was told to knock others down.

Although I believe there is something fishy going on with the signage as well, the twisting of nondescript words to change the perspective of the reader is appalling.

43. Angelo says:

What a data of un-ambiguity and preserveness of precious
    knowledge regarding unpredicted feelings.