The RCMP are preparing to carry out a mass arrest operation against the indigenous Unist’ot’en Clan of the Wet’suwet’en Nation in northwestern BC under Harper government’s Bill C-51 labelling as terrorists First Nations activists exercising their Aboriginal Title and Rights to protect their lands from oil and gas development, according to a joint statement by the groups supporters.

The Conservatives’ controversial anti-terror act criminalizes protests that may be seen as interfering with ‘the economic or financial stability of Canada’ and opponents of the bill had long feared that it would be used to stifle opposition to oil pipelines aggressively promoted by Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

The RCMP have made a number of visits to the Unist’ot’en as well as other First Nations leadership regarding the Unist’ot’en camp, located on the shores of the Wedzin Kwah and mouth of the Gosnell Creek, tributaries to the Skeena, Bulkley, and Babine Rivers.

The activists have been protesting against the proposed Enbridge Pipeline and Pacific Trails Pipeline (Chevron), which are planned to cross the river at the exact points of our Pithouse, and Permaculture Garden that was built on the Unist´ot´en Territory of Talbits Kwah.

Today over fifty individuals and organizations have issued a letter to the provincial government, federal government and RCMP to express support for the Unist’ot’en Camp.

“The courageous stand taken by the Unist’ot’en and their supporters must not be criminalized by the RCMP nor targeted by government,” states Maude Barlow, National Chairperson of the Council of Canadians. “Through the draconian Bill C51, the federal government is attempting to brand people defending the land and water as ‘security threats.’ The Unist’ot’en are heroes, while the real threat is this government destroying the planet and economy.”

Signatories to this letter include the Union of BC Indian Chiefs, First Nations Summit, BC Assembly of First Nations, Greenpeace Canada, Canadian Union of Public Employees Local 718, Idle No More, Council of Canadians, Earthkeepers: Christians for Climate Justice, Defenders of the Land, David Suzuki, Unifor’s Western Director Joie Warnock, Elizabeth May, Naomi Klein.

“Why is the Senior Command of the RCMP so hell bent on deliberately provoking a conflict between themselves and the Indigenous Peoples of British Columbia?” Grand Chief Stewart Phillip of the Union of BC Indian Chiefs asked. “Are they taking these instructions from Premier Christy Clark or Prime Minister Harper?”

Since 2009, the Unist’ot’en have maintained a camp by Wedzin Kwah (Morice River) that is blocking seven pipelines that do not have Unist’ot’en consent to use their land.

On August 15th, 2015, in accordance with Wet’suwet’en laws, the Unist’ot’en Declaration was unanimously signed by five Unist’ot’en chiefs and affirms the continuous governance of the Unist’ot’en.

The letter notes, “We denounce any attempt by the federal government, provincial government or RCMP to interfere in the rights of the Unist’ot’en to occupy, manage or maintain their lands…We expect any and all actions taken by the federal and provincial government, industry and policing agencies to be consistent with the Unist’ot’en Declaration and the jurisdiction of the Unist’ot’en Clan.

368 Responses to RCMP planning mass arrest of indigenous activists under Bill C-51, supporters warn

1. Ivar Winter says:

As is with most drive by media reports, designed by propagandists, to enfuriate…is; MacLeans Magazine, the CBC and the TORONTO STAR to name a few. Have any other readers and commenters noticed the lack of an author’s bi-line. This is a direct signification of a prop piece. I have family within these 1st nations involved and have been told directly by those who are viewed as ELDERS, that no such action is planned by the RCMP. Nice try NDP, BUT YOU ARE EXPOSED

2. hells bells says:

don’t voye for Harper! it’s will be a dead end for all of us

3. Anonymous_Truth says:

C-51 is against anyone and everyone who has a voice and tries to stand up to big government, simple as that.

4. hells bells says:

i mean DON”T VOTE for Harper

5. deisol says:

jackasses people with no mind are white trash wonder why the african brothers want to waste yu stupid lost fools

6. tiki says:

Just goes to Show that HARPER is a FACIST. and not a Conservative.

He has my vote!

• Lissa says:

Ano, to ustivonenae je zrejme jedno z tych ktore zacinaju platit az vstupom do eurozony, kedze tato uprava sa aj v SR preberala az pred zavedenim eura. Okrem toho ze ide o dost atypicku pravomoc ECJ, je na tom ustanoveni zvlastne aj to, ze nie je presne jasny okruh opravnenych subjektov na takuto ochranu – ci su to vsetci guverneri zdruzeni v prislusnej rade guvernerov, alebo je to len ich “sef” (co tusim naznacuje nemecke znenie toho clanku). Peter Kocvar

7. T15 says:

Let’s keep it simple here for all these racists. I am a native I have lived in Canada my whole life, so did my ancestors before me. And before everyone else started showing up in this country they lived a peaceful existence. They hunted and fished and shared all of there game with each other. Our lands where untouched by toxins and structures and oil our air was pure and so were waters. They had no need to fight for there land or there sacred hunting grounds. We shouldn’t have to fight to keep the little pieces of our land that was left to us untouched. If not wanting our land polluted is barbaric then I do not want civilization.
    On one last note I work I pay taxes and I am only one of thousands of natives who do so. It is people like you have corrupted our beautiful country our home. I really hope you do look into your history so that you might be enlightened about our rich roots which is what is moving this tribe to stand up for what they believe in.

Thousands of years ago, we all lived in tribes in Africa. Fun fact: we don’t have a time machine. My family immigrated here generations ago (not unlike yours did based on the SCIENCE that we likely all came from Africa).
      As I was born here, this is my fucking country too now. Sorry not sorry.
      Oh, and we need oil and gas to pay for things you alllll like having – hospitals, roads, schools, all that cash for your treaties!

im sure this is just another money grab from the aboriginals. Stewards of the land? Fuck off. Last time I drove by your reserve, all I saw were dead cats on the road and litter.
    Get your Act together and grow up you spoiled brats. You are rude and racist and working near a reserve, I’m actually fucking sick of being shit on by your people who think it’s okay to be a fucking asshole to me because I’m white.
    You know what would be funny? If white people left Canada. I give natives a week until they beg us to come back to give them more free money. Fuck you, you ignorant spoiled brats. We need the fucking pipeline to keep supplying you with the cash money you constantly demand.

9. oscroft says:

It is my understanding that First Nations have the numbers to affect the outcomes of an estimated 50 ridings in the Federal election. If history is still a predicater of future action I assume First Nation peoples will once again refuse the opportunity to express their concern at the ballot box. NOW that’s a shame.

10. Jamie says:

It would be more productive to just ignore the people posting negative and racist comments. Didn’t read them all but i see how it infuriates people and things get totally off topic. Just sayin’….This article was an eye opener to me. I am uneducated in the on goings of politics….maybe it’s time i payed attention! I really hope and pray our government does not go through with what is reportedly going into motion.

This bill is to suppress everyone who wants a voice.

• JOSEPH says:

As a longshoreman and supporter to abolish BILL C 51 and C 24 i support the first nations – top to bottom – ask any conservative goof ball if an intruder took over their household kicked them off their land raped their children, destroyed their culture,, and removed their civil rights, conservatives are inbreeds from hitler
      and the nazi in my opinion – how can any decent person believe in corporate wealth when the poor bleed in our streets. NDP is the path to eliminate the harper government – im opposed to bill c 51 and 24 my arms are around the first nations

12. ANono says:

You all like free shit and a warm house yet bitch over economic expansion so we can make that money an feed our familys and you,,,I hope you freeze this winter you treee hugging clowns

13. James Wesley says:

Resistance is not terrorism, No Fracking, No pipelines ,No problem

14. CJ says:

I wonder how many of you that are opposed to C-51 actually wrote your MP, petitioned or did ANYTHING to make your voice in the matter known. If you decided to do nothing, you’re part of the problem.

15. Bee Honey says:

My heart hurts from what is going on. Harper is a horrible politician! He is selling Canada for nothing. The people that have protected the land are getting odd cancers from all the byproduct of making oil.
    Why do we need a pipeline in the first place?
    Oh that’s right, Canada cannot refine their own oil. Perhaps, the oil is going to drop and so is the dollar. Then America can take our fresh water sell it back to us, double the price.
    I’m scared for what may happen. I am glad the natives are protecting the land but will be awful to be arrested and have a criminal record only to be marginalized more.
    I was in Texas 3 years ago and they are all set up for the pipeline. The ppl that hold the power have just been pretending that standing up will make a difference. I am not sure if there is anyway to stop this. Maybe, getting the government to reallocate people to decrease the cancers and birth defects. But water always trickles down stream so we will contaminate our water to China to buy more stuff we don’t need. (Ok deep breath). What can we do as the people?

16. Nanabush says:

Got land! Thank the First Nations!!!

Rember the white man never asked for any of these lands they are taking and we the native people never

r ceded any of the lands they are exproprinating just taking and no native has received any cash settlement for lands that were takin