vOuQtsK

Social media is abuzz with images of Liberal supporters symbolically cutting up their party membership cards after their leader Justin Trudeau voted in favour of Bill C-51 at the anti-terrorism legislation’s third reading in the House of Commons.

Disillusioned supporters also plastered Trudeau’s Facebook page with angry comments about the party’s support for the controversial bill which has been denounced as dangerous and draconian by legal experts, academics, former Prime Ministers, First Nations groups, civil society organizations and all opposition parties other than the Liberals.

CEhfzWTUIAAHN8x

“Supporting Bill C-51 is the stupidest thing the Liberal party has ever done,” Doug MacNaughton wrote. “You could have changed your mind today, saying that the Conservative amendments didn’t go far enough. Instead, we’re left depending on the Supreme Court to declare that the bill is unconstitutional. Your father brought in the Charter of Rights and Freedoms – you just voted to tear it up.”

facebook

“Sorry Justin Trudeau, I supported you from less that 100 likes on your page,” David Joseph wrote. “From the first speech you gave as the leader of the Liberal party. But now you’ve lost my confidence as a leader and much of the rest of the countries confidence!”

Trudeau’s loss is turning out to be Thomas Mulcair’s gain with diehard Liberal supporters vowing to vote for the NDP at October’s election.

rg3pGVW

“Well, it’s decided! I cannot support a leader who supports C-51,” Wayne Menard wrote. “Have you read the thing? I am casting my lot with the NDP after 30 years of being a card carrying Liberal. Sad, so very sad!”

“Sadly Justin, today you lost my vote and was a big supporter”   Cameron Brown wrote. “It looks like my only choice is now to vote for Mr. Mulclair and hope he can pull it off. Who is advising you anyway? Has all the heart, soul & minds bailed the Liberal Party?”

“As a First Nation member I supported you but after the Bill C-51,” Sid Chambaud wrote. “I’m supporting the NDP just as I did in the Alberta elections!”

The Liberal Party supported Bill C-51, which passed third reading in the House of Commons by a vote of 183 to 96, claiming that certain measures in the legislation were needed to combat terrorism and keep Canadians safe.

“Legislation similar to Bill C-51 is required and is in evidence in virtually every country with which Canada is allied or has shared values,” Wayne Easter, Liberal MP for Malpeque, PE, said during the debate. “Countering the growing threat of foreign and domestic terrorism is a reality that must be confronted by the modern state.”

“Mr. Speaker, my hon. friend from Malpeque knows that I am heartbroken that his party has chosen to do the wrong thing on Bill C-51,” Elizabeth May, Green Party leader and MP for Saanich—Gulf Islands, BC, said in response to Easter’s comments. “It will not be fixable later. It will need to be repealed, and that is the position that all opposition parties should take.”

“We just heard the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness say that this is the only legislation in the world that would ensure that a judge oversees decisions about allowing CSIS agents, or intelligence agents in other countries, to take the steps that are proposed in the legislation,” she added. “I would ask the member if he would agree with me, as someone who was listening to the evidence and looking at the bill, if this is because no other country in the world, no other democracy would imagine such a thing as a secret hearing, with only the government represented, to allow for a warrant for an intelligence officer to violate the constitution.”

“No such constitutional breach warrant has ever been contemplated by any other democracy,” May pointed out. “A constitutional breach warrant is so deeply offensive that that is why only Canada has a judge overseeing it. No other country would allow it.”

130 Responses to Supporters publicly abandoning Liberal Party over Trudeau’s support for Bill C-51

1. Dianne Dobson-Smith says:

Once again Justin Trudeau proves that he is just a pretty face and is REALLY stupid.

I agree have suported him all the way till now

Hello!!!

All the 3 popular parties are and will be controlled by the same old puppet masters!!!

You really want different – we have to sacrifice!!

• jeremy says:

the least we can do is give the NDP one try federally since they’ve never had one, then if they show they have the same stripes as the other two, REVOLUTION!

• clarence brown says:

i agree but give them 2 terms one to get used to it and the next one to get canada back on track dont do what ns did now look what we got

Yes, they had a few missteps in NS, but it’s not as if 150 years of Lib/PC made us strong. Further, the NDP was by no means any worse than the previous PC or subsequent Lib gov’t. In fact, the Libs we have now are completely incompetent.

• Bhimself says:

Let’s not be naive. The NDP bears no resemblance to the NDP of the past. It is now an undemocratic right of center hegemony controlled by a Bay St. owned megalomaniac who will whip, fetter and control any MPs the party elects. The sad part about Trudeau’s capitulation is it give Mulcair a “leg up”. It is critical that we end up with a minority- hopefully with enough Green MPs to hold some influence.
            I am still personally hoping for a massive loss of NDP seats so that the left side of the political spectrum can reclaim the NDP from these conservative moles and carpetbaggers.

What does Canada back on track look like?

• The Government says:

Welcome to the C-51 terrorist watch list

I agree, I going NDO all the way this time. I was helping with one of the Liberal MP campaign in YEG but stopped after the vote for C51.

I am also urging ali friends and contacts to support NDP and oust the Conservatives and the Liberals at Election in Oct 2015

• Sorina says:

Yes! Let’s all support the new N.D.P. What we’ve got now,
            and has been known all along, is a DICTATORSHIP”.

It’s the Conservative way, or the highway.
            For the first time, I prefer the highway of the N.D.P.
            I was a Liberal for almost thirty years. But, it never fails.
            POWER IS CORRUPTION, AND ULTIMATE POWER CORRUPTS ULTIMATELY.
            SORRY TO ADD, but the conservatives are no different.

Worth looking at the green party. They make more sense for the economy

• Bruce Allen says:

Then revolution it will be.

Hear hear!

• [email protected] says:

the NDP are controlled by their policies only. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200454743126433&set=p.10200454743126433&type=1&theater

I totaly agree,but just for a change Id like to see the NDP running the country.Its always the same two damn parties.

• Jacob says:

Lets SEE YOUR face honey!!

Sorry I didn’t want to actually
      Answer anything but only to give my opinion on bill c51.
      I would never vote for harper for many reasons including bill c 51 which has many other secret laws as per usual hudden within its pages however I wish to point out that if the government is unable to put passports of possible terrorists on ice to give officials a chance to get them to court before a terror act is committed how safe are citizen. As it was before c51 was passed a terrorist supporter could leave Canada and on his return we could not incarcerate him/her for the safety of Canadians and this person could not be deported because of citizenship rights but now before anyone considers leaving Canada for a country where terrorist training encouraged they will understand that supporting a terrorist group means loss of citizenship and a free ride back to their favorite second place. That to me sounds like a good deterrent in this day and age. The next government in power can enact a law that oversees
      This bill or totally revoke it
      in 6 months from now. I was not able to post a comment on this site unless it resembled a reply…strange?

Agreed

• Phil says:

But… but he’s a celebrity.. and his last name is Trudeau…

Doesn’t that mean he’s qualified?

Being a Canadian is a privilege. Being an immigrant myself and knowing that it was my decision to come to Canada and make it my home, I do not expect anyone to go backwards and accommodate my believes.
      I am proud to be Canadian and contribute to the society. If you are an immigrant like me, learn the language, accept your new home with all your mind and heart.. Contribute to the society and be proud to be Canadian!
      If you are not willing to do that go back wherever you came from.

• Missty says:

thank u sir ! one of the best comments I have read so far and it is a very true one! just as I would not expect Russia to cater to my needs if I decided to become a Russian citizen…

If you are not willing to do that go back wherever you came from.
      Sadly the pretty boy Justin is willing to tolerate everyone. Not to mention that the Liberal party of Canada destroyed the province of Ontario. Do you want this for the rest of Canada…

2. Robbear says:

Orange you glad we’ve got the NDP in Canada. Any thinking Canadian knows there isn’t much difference between Liberals and Conservatives. Trudeau has just confirmed that for us. Sigh!

Is he really Pierre’s son?

• JAKE says:

Could be Micks.

Ever think he is doing it on purpose to force a majority NDP government? No splitting of the left vote so the cons can get in again? Strategically it makes sense but the question is, is he falling on his sword for leftist political ideals or has he been bought by the cons to shore up there numbers from fence sitting right of centre voters. If it is neither of these things then he is a real disappointment as he is destroying his fathers party.

• Kasandra Maidmentt says:

He’s doing it because he wants to take votes away from the Conservatives. The Liberals have become Con-lite. He’s been voting with the Cons since day one but nobody has been paying attention. On energy, pipelines, cuts, you name it. Since the beginning.

• jeremy says:

yes we’ve switched, very quietly, from two “center left” parties to two “right” wing parties. it’s funny since the conservative base is really so small when you look at the numbers and the left is over 60% of the voting base which was just split last time. then again that also makes one wonder does justin realize he has handed over this opportunity on a silver platter by voting for something no one on the left can agree to, nor anyone who sees reason.

An interesting perspective! I admire your optimism, and I kinda hope this is the case. I’ve supported NDP my whole life, but completely lost interest in politics on account of the 2 party system, but this may just rekindle my interest.

• clarence brown says:

well we had the liberals and tories for 125 years and they never did any thing right time for a change dont be afraid we will never any where if we dont change

I agree, I am going to help the MDO campaign and work very hard to defeat the current corrupt Government as well as the Liberals.
        We would have never thought we oils get an NDO Govt in Alberta but look at what the will of the People can do: no amount of money or Fear-mongering can win over principles.
        I hope and will do everything in my power to help elect an NDP Govt in October 2015

Oops sorry I meant to say “NDP”

I agree, I am going to help the NDP campaign and work very hard to defeat the current corrupt Government as well as the Liberals.
            We would have never thought we could get an NDP Govt in Alberta but look at what the will of the People can do: no amount of money or Fear-mongering can win over principles.

• Iremember says:

Of course he is. His father was a rotten son of a bitch and the worst PM we ever had what makes you think he would be any better?

Dont ever forget how the NDP screwed Ontario with the most expensive auto insurance in Canada after reneging on public insurance as promised in the election

The NDP? It was the Liberal-in-sheep’s-clothing, Premier Bob Rae who broke the NDP Stalwart, Peter Kormos’ vote-getting promise (and kicked him out of Cabinet for posing fully clothed as a Sunshine Boy in a T.O. rag newspaper. He also brought in casinos while Tommy Douglas spun in his grave.
        As to partnering with the Liberals, as a New Democrat I am always reminded of the old adage: “A partnership needs one party with money and one party with experience and the benefit is that the party with the money gets the experience and the party with the experience gets the money”. ?.. Just sayin’…
        Let’ s just stick to our principles and stick with Mulcair. Quebeckers love him and so di Jack and that’s good enough for me.

No Justin is the conservative milkmans or a conservative mailmans kid but either way he is a load that should have been swallowed

• Missty says:

Pierre was a communist..yes he is his son..

3. Rob says:

Clearly he’s not a leader and even more clearly he has the same puppet master as Harper. US money and interests both party’s have done nothing but create a police state and give our country away. WANTED A LEADER WITH A VISION FOR ALL CANADIANS AND THE BALLS TO STAND UP TO THE U.S. INTERESTS

4. Michael Griffin says:

to Quote the Dragon’s Den.

I’M OUT!

• Dee says:

Really now Michael, that comment is why we don’t get the representative government that we need. “I’m Out” is the pussy ass position why we have such dismal voter turn out in election times. We keep blaming the party leaders. But, those “leaders” are only elected in their individual ridings. Just don’t vote for the candidate of that party in your own riding. And, that “leader” can not spearhead the draconian party line.

5. Dan Desson says:

I was on the Newmarket –Aurora Riding association executive, but had to quit because of Justin’s refusal to support fair voting using a proportional representation voting system as supported by the NDP, Green and Bloc parties. He has sided with the Conservatives by supporting another winner-take-all voting system.
    After Bill C-51 was announced, he was quick off the mark to support for the legislation. He tried to hedge by saying he would make changes to C-51 if elected PM.
    Sorry Liberals, you have flown your true colours and I will not be voting for the N-A Liberal candidate in the upcoming federal election

6. Marcus H. Weber says:

Not only that, but dozens of people had their comments deleted or were banned from commenting on Justin Trudeau’s Facebook and Twitter; not for profanity or insults, just for calling Trudeau on his indefensible vote for C-51. This is political suicide.

• manfesto2000 says:

The same can be said of the CRUSH fb page. Unseating Harper will require open and honest discussion – and not accusing people of being wing-nuts for raising valid points.

• Reasonable Rob says:

C.R.U.S.H has deleted, failed to approve many posts I’ve submitted there. It’s a bit of an irony though. a group promoting the unseating of a tyrant, moderated by individuals that mimic their malefactors behavior.

Another one to avoid is tolerance.org’s facebook page (also strangely and coincidentally moderated by three named individuals ‘Joan-Wilks-Booth’) little or no tolerance adopted there either.

I started having reservations about Justin Trudeau, when he demanded unilateral agreement from members of his party, then when he did the farcical group hug on the floor of the commons after the Ottawa shooting incident. But the C-51 was the deal breaker.

7. Mr. Trudeau:

A Canadian born abroad, I came to Canada in 1968. I found your father quite stimulating. A year or so later, I awoke to find I had no civil rights. Your father had declared martial law over one murder. I never viewed him the same again; no one did, I suspect. The notwithstanding clause makes our Bill of rights a joke. I rely on the sensibilities of Canadians for my safety.

I’m relying upon their sensibilities now, as you prove yourself an unthinking chip off the block. I hoped your youth would work in favor of greater insight; that having been reared by a giant, you could see farther than he could. Unfortunately, you can’t even see as far. I’m disappointed.

I don’t generally vote, but I did in Alberta last Tuesday. The enemy of my enemy is my friend for now, I guess. You’ve proven a friend to the greatest terrorist in Canada today: You have aided and abetted Mr. Harper and his band of zealots. You could have had my vote; because vote I shall this Fall.

You claim to be a “liberal.” Shame on you.

• manfesto2000 says:

The Canadian constitution will have to get ratified by the Settler population inviting the Indigenous groups to help to generate a citizen-driven Charter of Rights and Freedoms that goes back into pre-contact history in order to arrive at an authentic, culturally legitimate code of rights. Any justice department that has its roots in colonialism is not grounded in the real foundational principles on which people had norms of interacting – that is found in oral history.

It also is essential that we have a national dialogue on getting the Universal Declaration on Human Rights set as our supreme principle in the practice of rights in Canada. Our law enforcement agencies are getting more bellicose with citizens – thinking that force can be used with impunity. This is not consistent with the UDHR that has a set of practices that make rights part of the customs of society. For example, Article 29 holds that ensuring that everyones’ rights are protected is an essential duty to the community.

The Council of Canadians passed a resolution at the AGM in Saskatoon in October of 2013 on the need to have Indigenous leadership on the finalization of the constitution – with no artificial time constraints. It would be great if all Canadians could share the policies and decisions of all public interest groups in Canada on the constitutional process. We are over 30 years without ratification – and where police officers in Canada are still saying that because it is not ratified that they will regard respecting human rights as “optional”.

• [email protected] says:

Mulcair said he will repeal c-51 if the NDP form govt in Oct. …. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200454743126433&set=p.10200454743126433&type=1&theater

• deleted says:

@Dr. Paul Russman: thx for sharing your thoughts.
      young generation may not know abt the War measure act that Pierre Trudeau out in place after the FLQ murder.
      I am also done with the Liberals. I have supported them in the past but not anymore.

• Missty says:

liberals were never ‘liberal’…where did u ever get that idea?? red=communist….good lord when will ppl learn…P. Trudeau was always a communist dictator and ran out country into terrible debt ….I would never vote liberal ..and all the other parties are not far from his standing..but I hope everyone doesn’t decide to vote for hardcore NDP RED….even worse than Liberals!!!

8. randall oness says:

I am truly sad today because of an amazing legacy started in the Trudeau name faked me and all of Canada with this vote.you Justin and your party have lost my vote

• Kasandra Maidmentt says:

I don’t understand why people are surprised. He’s been voting with the Cons since day one. He’s trying to take away votes from the Conservatives.

What excellent legacy? An ego driven constitution that we can never change?

9. Kahkwa says:

Justin knew the bill was dangerously flawed and he knew a large number of Canadians were against it. He voted for in anyway. He could have been a leader and the people’s hero by standing up to the cons and making sure the bill was amended before it got his vote but he didn’t. Now he looks like a sellout. Sorry but I no longer have any respect for his leadership and am glad that Liberal supporters are telling him how they feel :(

• Bill says:

No true Liberal would ever vote for any fascist/conservative legislation. Justin and the Liberals are complete and total idiots and do not have the best interests of Canadians in mind.

10. Canadians for an NDP-Green Party Coalition Government are strategic voters, working together to take back Canada in 2015. Join us at https://www.facebook.com/groups/NDPGreenPartyCoalition/

11. Robert Haslett says:

In trying to be all things to all people Justin has only proven to be shallow and indecisive.

12. Kay says:

The libs are garbage. I’ve always voted ndp anyway but this whole fiasco solidifies my decision.

13. Kasandra Maidmentt says:

I don’t get why you are all so upset. The Libs have supported every major bill the Conservatives passed since day one, whether it is energy policy, pipelines or cuts. This is old news. It looks like the Liberal strategy is to win over the Conservative vote. Con-lite if you will. The Libs have no platform so if elected they will screw us to the wall like they have done before, and very much like Harper already has.

Catching on here this ndp propaganda!
      Seems to be working or are you all bought and paid for?hahaha!

14. Noam Sayn says:

Trudeau is a dumbass, but I’d still support him over Harper any day. Harper is a scumbag and he designed C-51 as a distraction to get Canadians talking about national security security and not his failed economic policies. Harper sold his party as strong on the economy and they’ve proven the exact opposite.

• Brachina says:

Thankfully you have a third option, Tom Mulcair.

Trudeau is fighting for con votes and only dummies can’t figure that out .
      Trudeau is not in this alone he has economists and war room experts helping him and although I dislike Harper cons and know that he has many secrets hidden in c51 I still think we’re better off with a law that will allow known terrorists deported from Canada once and for all and if one goes to another country to learn about killing and committing terrorist acts they will be jailed for a long time or experience loss of passport for up to 10 years giving officials time to source proof from other countries. This is the only deterrent anyone has ever come up with and thats probably why liberals chose to go along with it instead of sitting on the sidelines.
      We have to get tough with terror plots which is something past governments never had to deal with in Canada.

• deleted says:

What fkng terror threats? Some mentally ill kid trying to get at the pm? Oh my god pack your bags and head to alaska the mentally ill kid might break out of custody. If we wern’t sticking our nose where it doesn’t belong we wouldn’t have to worry about pissed off extremists. Thanks harper

Or we could just ask the US to stop supplying them with weapons… instead of stripping us of our rights over a MANUFACTURED “problem”…

15. Julia Ginley says:

Trudeau lost my vote when he breached our right to select our candidate in Ottawa-Orleans. He continues to make decisions that will ensure that I will not vote Liberal in the next Federal election. A party that I have supported for over 40 years. Sad.

16. Dan Farrell says:

WEll Well Well that is enought said for me .No vote For You.

17. Carib says:

But The NDP has the same position of the Liberals. If either is in power they both will amend and change the Legislation but not scrap it: http://globalnews.ca/news/1843737/given-the-power-mulcair-would-amend-anti-terror-bill-not-repeal-it/

Stop sharing an article from February. The last 2 months they have been firm. Repeal. They even tweeted it the other day from their official Twitter.

Besides, even if their plan was to ammend rather repeal, they still voted against a bill that they believe was flawed, rather than for it as the Liberals did.

• [email protected] says:

Mulcair said he will repeal c-51 if the NDP form govt…. confirmation tweet link from NDP HQ …. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200454743126433&set=p.10200454743126433&type=1&theater

Of course but the ndp chose one way to get votes and liberal chose to attract the con voters.
      May the best one win! I personally would never trust Andrea Horwath after how she was selling us out to the cons on the chance that she would get a few extra seats.How about that? And the NDP voted her back in… no I don’t trust A Horwath as leader of the Ontario NDP.

18. Jean-Marc Laurin says:

I bailed on Ontario when Mike Harris was in power. Moved to Quebec and have never been happier. I figured out Canadians were fundamentally conservative and trying to convince a rock that it’s made of water is impossible. I am now a die hard separatist. Canada is a lost cause. I’ve tried to stay true but Canadians keep showing up with their irreconcilable differences.

Since the right is poisoning every democracy on earth, I figured I would channel my energies to improve and defend the only society I feel represents my values. A progressive independent Quebec, master of all its fiscal powers and revenues.

No sense investing in trying to teach monkeys about rocket science. Canada is a fundamentally conservative and monarchal society ill-suited for progressive values.

Sorry but Canada as a whole has lost itself, let alone my vote.

Separatist? Why are you even commenting then. By all means leave Canada. Take any of your friends with you. Grrr

I can understand that sometimes separatism makes more sense, Alberta also has a growing sector of citizens that say they’re interested in separatism and if they were not land locked might have developped more of a separatist following.
      Wuebec seems to do well by it people

• Vancouverois says:

Quebec separatism is not progressive. It’s an ethnic nationalist movement that displays all of worst aspects of ethnic nationalism — in particular, its hateful intolerance for everyone who isn’t one of “nous”. You need only look at the “Charter of Values” that the PQ ran on in the last election to see it.

19. Duncan Vincent says:

The silly people being silly is news now?

20. [email protected] says:

The biggest mistake the Liberals made was to elect a leader who has zero qualifications except for his last name. The second biggest mistake was to elect his father in the first place.

So right,when his Father gave the West the finger and said “- – - – ” the Duck ! He’s far from worried about the Western part of this Country. To much milk behind the ears, and has’nt the knowledge to lead a United Canada.we need Quebec to stay in a united Country.

What were Harpers qualifications? He has to be the worst economist around!spending every Canadian dollar he can on Harper ads!
      And Mulcair although I love listening to him aggravate Harper actually hasn’t done anything else but entertain us with his well pointed rehearsed questions? In fact isn’t that what Harper does when he only allows one question per reporter which is usually 3 reporters with predetermined questions and not allowed to go off track. Come to think of it Mulcair and Harper have their own similarities don’t they?

• Donald Neill says:

The third biggest mistake is giving you a platform.. He may be wrong.. True, but so are you… His father was Canada’s greatest Prime Minister.. I guess you took the middle finger from his father personally.. If you didn’t, you should have…

21. Vanessa says:

Disappointing

22. Fred Ankcorn says:

Please unsuscribe me from you looney tuners.

23. DJones says:

I too was hopeful that Trudeau was the one to take on Harper. Not any more. C-51 was the last straw. I am more afraid of bad government than terrorists. Too bad we can’t have Elizabeth May as PM. Looks like NDP is the way to go.
    Recommend tshirts with “Democracy – not Harpocracy” for Canada Day!

24. Donald Neill says:

I’m 60 years old and have always supported the Liberals with my vote.. The Liberal support of C-51 Changes all of that.. You made History and lost my Vote.. Justin, if you want to be Harper, join the PC party.. In case you don’t understand what a Liberal is, here’s one of the definitions from the dictionary. “Of, pertaining to, based on, or advocating liberalism, especially the freedom of the individual and governmental guarantees of individual rights and liberties.” You betrayed the basics of liberalism.. I can not support that or you any longer

25. I can’t believe that Trudeau stood with Harper on this Bill,, I agree that he help Harper tear apart the very legislation that the late Honorable Pierre Elliot Trudeau fought so hard to protect us from this kind of dictator like Harper,, for the last few days I have been unable to voice my opinion to other liberals thanks to a man named Martin Showell from the liberal party blocked me from all liberal postings and went Into my Facebook account and deleted some of my pictures and postings,, this is old liberal tactics,, Mr. Trudeau you just lost the election and your main stream liberals is all you have left,, swing voters will vote another way and independents like myself who for the first time I joined a political party and donated too. Your people are rude and ignorant the way they are trying to bully voters on postings on Facebook and I did report Martin Showell to the Facebook team for his abuse and blocking me from the liberal site because I disagree with him!! That is just more proof that you are no different then Harper and his cronies!!

26. Bob Dougan says:

I am very disappointed with the lack of attack by the Liberals. The Cons have presented the opposition with tons of opportunities from poor performance on the economy, breaking the laws, scandals, poor choice of senators, etc, etc,
    Mulcair is attacking the Cons daily and he is gaining a great deal of respect. I feel now that our only choice to get rid of the Cons and Harper is to vote for the NDP. I never thought I would ever do this but it appears that this is now my only option.

27. Jim E Weir says:

You lost my whole family Justin, not just me.

28. Ken Hardie says:

Single issue politics are a mug’s game, and while I would have preferred the Liberals to take a different tack on C-51, it is not the only issue facing the country.

Although I have a lot of time for Mr. Mulcair as an intelligent and effective parliamentarian, he hasn’t presented a vision for Canada that works for me. He has flip flopped on C-51; now he’ll rescind it if he gains power…but until a few days ago his position was pretty much the same as the Liberals.

If Mr. Mulcair feels we are safe enough and secure enough without C-51, I think he has failed to understand just how much damage the Conservatives have done to our international reputation.

29. Charles Burns says:

Once again we see there is no difference between the Liberal and the Harper Government just a prettier face – We see in BC that the Liberal Party here is no different than the Harper Conservatives – The real choice on replacing Harper is a Progressive NDP – Go NDP lets have a repeat in Canada of what happened in Alberta ..

30. ben bellows says:

MR. TRUDEAU IS NO DIFFERENT THAN MOST COPS TODAY / NOR ALL POLITIONS AND JUDGES . FOR INSTANCE WHEN WE WERE FIGHTING THE MOOSE CLASS ACTION I WAS MOST CONFIDENT MR. CROSBY HAD IT ALL TIED UP . BUT THERE IS SO MUCH CORRUPTION IN GOVT. I FEEL HE WAS PROMISED SOMETHING OR PAID OFF BY GOVT. NOOO MY BROTHER SAID . I TOLD HIIM YOU JUST WAIT AND SEE . WASNT VERY LOONG AFTER THE AXE WAS TO FALL ON GOVT. REMEMBER NOW IN ORDER TO CUT CABINET THE LAND HAD TO BE REDRAWNED OVER / THE MESS IT BECAME . SO SOMEBODY WAS TO MAKE A LARGE SUM OF MONEY IN A VERY SHORT TIME . GUESS WHOO GOT THE CONTRACT ?/ YOU GOT IT JUDGE ROBERT STACK . PAYOFF ???/ WELL THERE IS ONE HERE THAT WILL NEVER VOTE AGAIN AND I WILL STILL HAVE MY SAY . SHES GONE BY SHES GONE FINALLY CAME . BUT I HAVE A MESSAGE FOR ALL THOSE MONEY HUNGRY LYING CHEATIN STEALERS IN GOVT. ITs EASIER FOR ACAMEL TO GO THROUGH THE EYE OF A NEEDLE THAN A RICH MAN TO GO TO HEAVEN . ESPECIALLY THE WAY YOU ARE ROBBING THE POOR .NEVER WILL I PROVE THIS MOOSE CLASS ACTION WAS PLUCKED FROM UNDER US MR STACK BUT IT SURE LOOKS PPRETTY SUSPECIOUS .. AND BY THE WAY WE WERENT ASKING FOR THE MOON / IF IT WERE YOUR SON IN THE BENCH / WOULD HE HAVE WON ? THIS MIGHT BE CONSPIARY THERORY ON MY PART BUT WHEN WE ALL KNEEL BEFORE GOD I HOPE ME AND YOU ARE SIDE BY SIDE . I AM LIVING FROM HAND TO MOUTH THESE DAYS AND GETTING MONEY AT TIMES TO PAY MY HEAT BILL FROM MY CHRILDREN .THIS IS SOMETHING NO MMAN SHOULD EVER HAVE TO DO .BECAUSE OF MY INJURY I AM COLD ALL THE TIME SO I NEED MY HEAT TURNED UP IN MY BEDROOM ALL THE TIME . HOW MANY POLATITIONS HAVE TO DO THIS . I KNOW WHAT EVERY POLATITION WILL SAY WHEN THEY READ THIS / WELL WERE WORKIN FOR IT . OK I AGREE BUT LOOK AFTER THE POOR DONT PUT THEM IN A THIRD WORLD STATE . 4 TIMES IN THE PAST TWO YEARS I TRIED TO SAVE UP ENOUGH MONEY TO BUY A GRID ERASOR MAXAMUS SO WHEN WE LOST OUR POWER MY WIFE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT WOULDNT HAVE TO BE LIFTING AND DRAGGING ME IN HER BED .NEVER COULD DO IT /SO WE WOULD HAVE OUR LITTLE CRY AND FINALLY AFTER SCOATING AND TEARING FINALLY GO TO SLEEP . ///READY FOR ANOTHER EARTH SHATTERING DAY ///

31. Douglas says:

It seems that the Liberal strategy is to crowd the Conservatives out of the center-right spot by supporting policies that many Conservative voters support (ex: Keystone XL, tax cuts, and additional provisions to fight terrorism) in an effort to say: “Hey! If you like Harper’s policies but don’t like Harper, take a look at our guy”.

The Liberals hope to push the Conservatives to take a step further toward to right in order to differentiate themselves (hoping that along the way that will provoke a litany of campaign yahoo-bozo statements).

Finally, it is looking to occupy territory on the left, the Conservatives would NEVER dare support (and might be likely to provoke more yahoo-bozo statements (ex: legalization of pot, pay equity, respect for unions, Parliamentary oversight, and talk of root causes).

If the Liberals really want to stop this outflow, it needs to be seen to to be building the network to handle the de-radicalization piece of all of this. The more they speak of addressing the root causes of radicalization, the more it will drive the HarperConservatives crazy.

32. Don K says:

So sad to see a son try to destroy his dad`s legacy

33. Xenophore says:

If you believe in liberty, vote Libertarian.

34. Allendista says:

You suck Trudeau. You sold us all out and to who?., The Stephen Harper Cons.,
    Disgust, disappointment, heartbreak with the Liberal Party are just some of the emotions. Just went and joined the NDP.., Who would’ve thought it?.,
    Anyways, Mr. Mulcair will be getting not only my financial help in terms of a donation, but also will get my time as a volunteer as well as those of the rest of my family to help defeat Harper at he polls., I just don’t understand.,

• David says:

Go ahead, vote NDP, but only if its candidate has the best chance of defeating the Conservative candidate.

35. Derek says:

I have always been a Liberal supporter. This year that will change. Support Bill C-51, you lose my vote! I’m not sure NDP is the way to go. I live in B.C. and because of NDP, we have ICBC. The most hated government institution in the province. I think it’s time for The Green Party to shine. They are the only, truly “untested” party.

• David says:

Only if the Green Party candidate has the best chance of defeating the Conservative. This is a war for the survival of our country. One battle at a time.

I don’t ant never will need to pack a piece of papaper around in order to remind myself of which Democratic Party I support. I will support Justin for decades to come. Make your choices brother. The greatest support of diversity rests in our ability to believe in exactly what we wish.

37. Gabe says:

If only the Green Party or the Libertarian Party could find enough candidates to fill every riding, with decent people, they have a snowballs chance in hell. Also, there’s that incurable virus that seems to affect permanently, every person who enters politics, to some degree. However, I do have a solution. Join me in my new party, and we’ll correct all the wrongs done to Canada so far. Join my Cocktail Party!

38. RH Vincent says:

It is unfortunate that Mr Trudeau’s comments were so badly misrepresented in so many of the media and by the Conservative Party of Canada. He has NEVER said that he accepts C-51 as written, but the prolonged discussion in protesting against it, while highly informative and of value in understanding the issues surrounding the Bill, will have no bearing on the outcome, because Harper et al have a knack for abusing their majority posture in the H of C and will pass it as written. What Mr Trudeau HAS said is that he would support the bill with the understanding that, once in power, he will review its content with a view to making amendments to deal with necessary reductions in scope, including reducing the powers of CSIS, and provision of over-sight by the H of C. I think running around cutting up membership cards shows a complete lack of understanding of this situation and denies the existence of any other issues, and there are many, for which the Cons MUST be denied power in the next election.

• David says:

Agreed. The number one priority of all loyal Canadians should be the defeat of Harper and his fellow political thugs. Vote strategically, i.e., for the candidate in your riding who has the best chance of defeating the Conservative.

39. Robert says:

Wayne Easter says they’re just keeping in line with other countries who share our values.

“Israel’s values are Canada’s values”

Indeed

40. David says:

For what it’s worth, Trudeau stated at the outset that while he would support the bill, if the Liberals are elected as government, he will amend it by removing the objectionable clauses. It seems he and his cohorts want to avoid predictable Conservative accusations that the Liberal’s are “soft on terrorism.” Of course, even the Liberals had opposed the bill, it would have been passed by the Conservatives.
    BTW, it appears that Liberal senators will be opposing passage of the bill in the Senate.

41. paraic says:

Like the man said if you don’t like Harper but like his policies then vote Liberal, simple as that. Harper really loves the military, like when he went down to NYC to apologize to the USA Admin for Canada not giving it full support with the Iraq invasion, the protested war in the history of the world!!.

42. Genesio says:

The Liberals ie Conservative who voted for that bill have to go and vote NDP Thomas Mulcair he will make excellent Prime Minister VOTE NDP yesterday today and tomorrow

43. Ernie says:

We need change but we also need sobriety of truth and justice. No matter who is elected, if they feel they are untouchable, not held accountable for poor bills being passed, spending hard earned tax dollars, making promises without integrity and so forth… Then the real problem remains with the voters, we need to send a strong and clear message through media that we expect the truth and demand respect and if that isn’t given we vote you out. Lead the country but lead it with clarity…

44. Adrian Waite says:

The ironic thing is reading some of the comments of people calling for revolution. This bill might have just labeled you as terrorists because you might be making comments considered to not be in the best interest of Canada.
    That being said, you might just meet me in the jail cell next to you after CSIS comes knocking on your door. If we cannot find satisfaction, either from the NDP or any other political entity, I feel revolution may be the only recourse. I hope I am wrong.
    No matter what, Harper must be stopped, and Trudeau is no longer an option. Lets give the NDP a chance and go from there.
    Canada forever!

45. Curt says:

I have no faith in the Liberals and I don’t agree in the direction Harper is and has been taking our Canada. Harper signs a treaty with China …giving them access to our resources and no responsibilities to our environment nor the people of Canada. We are rich in resources yet we keep 20% royalties and other countries make 80%. It should be the other way around…we should be the richest country in the world. Harper is a corporate ass kisser…he has the worst taste in selecting senators. ..need I say more

• Lin says:

You are so wrong on the senators bit. It’s the liberals that had way more committing fraud and theft and more to come but of course it got buried until, after the election. If you search liberal senators fraud you will see for yourself and along with other poor cases such as the liberal that didn’t show in the chambers for two years but still got paid and the liberal waiting for trial that is charged with over $250,000 in fraud. But alas the media and you are more concerned with only the facts you want to hear about rather than the complete story.

46. Leif says:

The main reason to abandon Justin Trudeau is his inability to commit to proportional representation. Fair enough, the better half of the Liberal MPs recently showed their commitment to democracy by voting for PR, but the rest including J. Trudeau seem to think disproportional misrepresentation is just fine and voters should be forced to eat what they fed us even though we never ordered it. Being PR detractors really shows their undemocratic priorities ie. Justin is more into his narrow career and turn-at-the-trough than he is in what Canadian voters want. Justin wants power regardless of how we the people vote; the disconnect of a fake mandate doesn’t bother him.

Having said that, the better half of the Liberals deserve encouragement from us and deserve better from their leader. Maybe they should cross the floor and join the NDP at least until we get a fair voting system.

47. NorthernThunder says:

Come join us, Liberals, we Dippers will welcome you. Let’s give the NDP its first ever majority.

• Lin says:

The NDP will never get the chance because the moral compass of our country( liberals) are too busy trashing them and trying to steal their votes by disguising it as strategic voting. This seems to be their new mo and luckey for them people are just that stupid that it’s working. They even have an organization comprised of liberals that are called vote together and make out like they want to get rid of the conservatives but really their goal is to get the liberals elected. Talk about divisive and self serving politics!